Drive the practice of data science and machine learning through a dedicated team of data scientists to propel Transamerica’ transformation into a data insights driven organization. Work with peers in Data Engineering and Analytics Engagement to initiate, execute, and deliver advanced analytics projects across the enterprise.
- Provide technical leadership and coaching for staff members; conduct regular reviews of project work, identify development opportunities through training and conferences, and create opportunities for collaboration and peer review.
- Partner with Data Engineering and Analytics Engagement to plan, resource, and manage the execution of the project portfolio; identify and implement architectural support to maximize productivity, reduce the cycle time of projects, and ensure sufficient auditability and monitoring. Identify and develop required technical competencies and practices to support the project pipeline.
- Recruit and retain top-tier talent. Create and foster a team culture and ensure staff have a mix of project work that aligns with their defined development objectives.
- Review and critique use cases for completeness and alignment. Estimate required data science resource levels and timelines for use cases.
- Assess opportunities for evaluation of and partnership with external machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) companies/platforms as they align with company needs and strategic direction. Lead partnerships with adopted platforms.
- Lead curriculum development and assessment for the Analytics for All Development program.
- Develop an industry view of analytics and design-driven problem solving. Use academic and competitor research to understand recent advances and best practices and inform our approach to developing solutions.
- Develop and foster key academic partnerships to collaborate in research and development as well as maintain a pipeline of talent.
- Coordinate activities with Aegon Global Analytics partners for knowledge sharing and process alignment.
- Partner with Data Engineering and Transamerica (TA) Technology to identify and execute integrations required to deploy models and assets into operational business processes and applications.
- Master’s degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, physics, or related quantitative field
- Seven years of progressive experience in a data science or quantitative role, including two years leading a team of data scientists.
- Experience managing a portfolio of projects from inception to deployment
- Experience communicating with leadership at all levels
- Experience developing a range of statistical and machine learning models (e.g. natural language processing, computer vision, anomaly detection, forecasting, etc.)
- Business acumen to work with business partners and understand their domains, processes, and issues to identify strategies to optimize and innovate
- Ability to leverage data visualizations to highlight insights to business partners and make a business case for a recommended action or innovation opportunity
- Proficient in the language of statistics with an advanced understanding of mathematical statistics, including combinatorics, probability, common discrete and continuous distributions, univariate and multivariate distributions, conditional probability, random variables, expectation, variance, convergence, estimation (bias, MSE, consistency, sufficiency, maximum likelihood, moments, etc.), hypothesis testing, and confidence intervals. This understanding is required to assess and coach data scientist's work
- Theoretical and practical understanding of a range of machine learning techniques including unsupervised learning (e.g. clustering, outlier detection, PCA, ICA, NNMF, SVD, etc.), supervised learning (e.g., regression techniques, naïve Bayes, support vector machines, LDA, decision trees, neural networks, etc.), reinforcement learning (e.g., Q-learning, neural networks, etc.), and meta-methods (e.g., boosting, bagging)
- Leadership skills to influence outcomes in partnership with data scientists, data engineers, engagement managers, business leaders, technology management, and other subject matter experts
- Written communication skills to engage partners, document methodology and results, and publish research
- Organizational and project management skills for overall project planning and task management
- Solid understanding of (1) multivariate calculus with applications to optimization, (2) linear algebra and tensor calculus, (3) partial differential equations, (4) graph theory, (5) numerical analysis.
- Solid understanding of (1) data structures, (2) sequential algorithms, (3) distributed algorithms, (4) complexity
- Knowledge of information technology integration and deployment patterns to design and implement solutions
- Advanced proficiency in Python, R, SQL
- PhD in computer science, mathematics, statistics, physics, or related quantitative field
- Project and/or program management experience
- Strategic consulting experience
- Office environment
- Moderate travel to meet with business, academic, and industry partners
Why Work for Us
Total Rewards at Transamerica: It’s more than a paycheck. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package is designed to help support you in many ways — throughout all stages of your life and career. We provide a competitive, market-driven program that encompasses base compensation, bonus potential, retirement, health and wellness benefits, learning and development opportunities, plus great employee perks. All designed with you in mind… to help you live your best life, grow personally and professionally - and feel valued for the work you do.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Transamerica Life Insurance Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of age, religion, sex, gender identity, genetic information, race, color, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, participation in the uniformed services (e.g. U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard), physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local equal employment opportunities laws.
AEGON USA Realty Advisors, LLC, is an Equal Employment Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of age, religion, sex, gender identity, genetic information, race, color, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, participation in the uniformed services (e.g. U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard), physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local equal employment opportunities laws.
Applicants with physical or mental disabilities may be entitled to a form of reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state and local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will insure equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the Transamerica Companies. If you are a job seeker with a disability, or are assisting someone with a disability, and require assistance to apply for one of our jobs, please contact: email@example.com.
If you experience technical problems during the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.