Internships are short-term work experiences for a designated period of time that allow college students the opportunity to observe and participate in the professional work environment, to explore how his/her interests relate to possible careers, and to gain practical experience in an industry relating to their field of study.
Data Science Intern- Part-time Fall 2018
At Transamerica, we believe achieving a secure future requires both smart financial planning and a healthy lifestyle. We’re using data science, machine learning, computer vision, natural language processing, and IoT to revolutionize the way our customers save, invest, protect, and retire and to help them develop better wellness habits. As part of the Advanced Analytics group, you will work with product managers, data engineers, and other data scientists to develop innovative solutions that transform the way we do business.
What You’ll Do:
- Design experiments and formulate machine learning problems to address major business challenges and innovation opportunities
- Work with product managers and data engineers to discover, collect, cleanse, and refine the data needed for analysis and modeling
- Analyze large datasets to extract actionable insights and inform experimental design and model development
- Write lucid, compelling summaries to communicate results of your analysis, model development, and testing which inform how the business should act
- Collaborate with peers, challenging assumptions and providing constructive criticism and ideas for improvement
- Build models using a variety of statistical and machine learning techniques, assessing the best type of model for the problem context and using advanced techniques and customization's to optimize model performance
- Harden models for production deployment and monitor model performance over time
Who You Are:
- You are studying data science or machine learning
- You have knowledge of major machine learning algorithms
- You have beginning-intermediate skills in Python and R
- You have practical experience with machine learning libraries and platforms, like Scikit-learn and Tensorflow
- Your statistical analysis skills are solid and you have a good understanding of experimental design
- You have excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- You can demonstrate your experience working with data at scale in the Hadoop ecosystem
- You have great communication skills and a particular talent for using data to tell a story
- You love to learn and keep pace with the latest advances in data science and machine learning
Education / skills
- Pursuing a Bachelors or Masters in computer science, machine learning, data science, mathematics, statistics, or a related quantitative field.
- To qualify for internship, applicants must be currently enrolled full-time at a college or university pursuing a specific degree program. Internships are not available for students who have completed their college education or who will graduate prior to the conclusion of the internship.
- Strong written & verbal communications communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Reliable, dependable
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Office Environment
Why Work for Us
Total Rewards at Transamerica: It’s more than a paycheck. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package is designed to help support you in many ways — throughout all stages of your life and career. We provide a competitive, market-driven program that encompasses base compensation, bonus potential, retirement, health and wellness benefits, learning and development opportunities, plus great employee perks. All designed with you in mind… to help you live your best life, grow personally and professionally - and feel valued for the work you do.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Transamerica Life Insurance Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of age, religion, sex, gender identity, genetic information, race, color, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, participation in the uniformed services (e.g. U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard), physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local equal employment opportunities laws.
AEGON USA Realty Advisors, LLC, is an Equal Employment Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of age, religion, sex, gender identity, genetic information, race, color, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, participation in the uniformed services (e.g. U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard), physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local equal employment opportunities laws.
Applicants with physical or mental disabilities may be entitled to a form of reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state and local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will insure equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the Transamerica Companies. If you are a job seeker with a disability, or are assisting someone with a disability, and require assistance to apply for one of our jobs, please contact: email@example.com.
If you experience technical problems during the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.