Are you seeking a career in an inspiring, enthusiastic, (inter)national, entrepreneurial and agile environment? Want to work at one of the largest Dutch Financial Institutions? Want to gain exposure to a wide range of accounting topics, network with a broad range of functions? Aegon NL should be your next employer!
The department FIM Reporting R part of the Finance Department FIM of Aegon Nederland N.V. The primary objective of FIM ReportingReporting Office is to provide the Management Board and Supervisory Board, our parent (Aegon N.V.) and external stakeholders, with meaningful financial and non-financial information (e.g. capital, income, balance sheet, sales etc.) to support the board’s decision-making process. To help achieve this objective, FIM Reporting implements and maintains adequate reporting systems which enables statutory and consolidated reporting on key financial metrics based on International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), Solvency II, Aegon’s Economic Framework
In this role you will report to the Head of the FIM Reporting and you are based in The Hague, The Netherlands. The IFRS reporting team consists of 13 people and works closely with the FIM Accounting and FIM Actuarial & Solveny II reporting team.
About the position
The senior accounting policy specialist, as a member of the Accounting Policy team (part of FIM Reporting) of Aegon NL, monitors (inter)national developments with regards to financial reporting. The senior accounting policy specialist translates these developments into the accounting and reporting policies and formats of Aegon NL and advises the reporting units, Management and Businesses on the application thereof.
You will be part of a team that is managed by the Head of FIM Reporting. You will work within an inspiring and open environment.
- Drafting position papers / review position papers drafted by reporting units in finalizing them – and discussing the position papers with colleagues from the Corporate Center of Aegon N.V. and with the external auditor;
- Research into accounting guidance to find solutions to accounting issues raised by reporting units;
- Review complex investment transactions and determine, in collaboration with Senior Management, the appropriate accounting treatment. In some cases, suggest changes to preliminary agreements that will provide favorable accounting treatments for the company;
- Maintain a log of consultations (documents questions received and how they were resolved – i.e. answered / pending the writing of a position paper / other course of action) and follow up on the resolution of open items;
- Maintain the organization of position papers in the SharePoint Database and ensure compliance with SOx procedures. This would involve gathering new position papers, ensuring they are approved, filing the same on SharePoint, ensuring that old position papers which are superseded are removed and archived;
- Participate in international projects concerning implementation of new financial reporting standards such as IFRS 9 – Financial Instruments and IFRS 17 – Insurance Contracts
- Monitoring (inter)national developments that are relevant for Aegon NL’s financial reporting under IFRS in annual and financial reporting to supervisors (including developments at the IASB, AFM, DNB, SEC etc.);
- Maintenance of accounting policies and manuals for IFRS;
- Review the annual IFRS financial statements for compliance with IFRS accounting and disclosure requirements; and
- Liaise with external auditor and advisors.
We’re looking for a strategic, forward-thinking Accounting or Reporting professional who has significant experience within a financial institution or one of the big 4 audit firms. We’re seeking a Senior Accounting Policy specialist, to partner with key stakeholders and peers to support and engage with our powerful networks of people, opportunities, and investments. Your leadership skills will be put to the test in this role as you will be overseeing large projects and managing complex process streams too. Senior management will be turning to you as a trusted subject matter expert to drive business results and provide accounting advisory direction.
Moreover, you have the following qualifications:
- Qualified accountant (Dutch RA, CPA or equivalent) with at least 5 years of accounting experience;
- Deep knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (‘IFRS’) and application of IFRS in complex situations;
- Ability to provide pragmatic accounting advice through understanding the business environment and managing potentially sensitive financial reporting issues;
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in written and spoken English with the ability to communicate complex accounting information to a non-technical audience;
- Strong impact and interpersonal skills – ability to influence, engage and work with a diverse group of stakeholders at various levels of the organisation;
- Proactive attitude with a keen sense to respect and meet deadlines;
- Self-starter, autonomous;
- Strong commitment to the job, ownership;
- Drive and focus on results with a client-oriented mind-set;
- Establishes Valuable Partnerships - Works with internal and external customers leading by example to create mutual success;
- Takes accountability for not only individual goals but for team goals as well. Consults others and makes them aware of information that may be useful to them; and
Terms and conditions of employment
We offer you an interesting position where you work independently and professionally in an ambitious and dynamic organization. Growth and development are important to us, that is why we invest amply in our employees in the form of development and career possibilities. In exchange for your commitment and efforts we offer you an extensive and excellent package of pay and benefits, e.g.:
- a competitive monthly salary;
- in addition you receive a fixed 13th month’s salary and holiday allowance in the form of a monthly flexible budget of 16.7% of your monthly salary;
- good balance between work and private life with at least 27 holiday days;
- an appropriate commuting allowance; and
- excellent pension scheme and discount on Aegon products.
Does this role appeal to you? We then look forward to receiving your cv and motivation via our application form on this website. An online assessment is part of the selection process. For more information about the application procedure you can contact Anne van Busselen, 06-23792726.